Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Titanic day

I found out that today was the anniversary of Lincoln's assassination, and also the sinking of the Titanic. It figures. My day started out just like that. Well, not quite as bad. Getting assassinated makes for an extremely bad day, as does going down with the ship.

No, my day didn't begin quite that bad. The first thing that happened though was when I went to put on my jacket. I was late already, and as I finished putting on the left sleeve and was reaching back to grab the jacket with my right, I knocked over the pencil holder from its customary spot on top of the speaker. When I finished picking those up, I was a little bit later. I got to the 4runner and threw my gym bag into the passenger seat as is my habit. I heard a hissing noise and saw a cloud rising from the side pocket of the bag. It was my old can of Old Spice body spray. I actually had meant to get rid of it, since Ann was no longer making comments about how good I smelled, but had inadvertantly left it in the bag and somehow it had gotten punctured when I tossed the bag. By the time I got to the other side of the vehicle and opened the bag, the can was nearly empty. I grabbed it and threw it in the trash, in the process, coating my hands in the stuff. Even later now, I got in, wiped my hands on some tissue, and headed to work.

When I got there, the stench from my hands was overpowering. I tried to stay away from people until I had time to wash my hands. I finally got a chance to wash my hands with soap, only it was too late. The scent stayed on my hands as if it had been cemented with Gorilla glue. It was going to have to wear off.

I looked at my watch and found that it had stopped functioning properly. The digital display did not match the hand display (the hand display was correct), and the date had changed to January 1st. Later on, when I tried setting the digital display to be correct, the hands moved so that they were displaying a time approximately six hours different from the correct time.

As I drove around delivering mail, I watched people's shingles being ripped off by the high winds we experienced today.

And then when I got home, I found that my fish oil supplement in liquid form that I keep in the fridge, had been knocked over and the lid had broken, spilling several ounces on the kitchen floor. And last, but not least, part of our back fence had blown down in the wind.

So, all in all, not a bad day as far as ocean sailing goes, or play watching, but definitely an unusual day with weird happenings. It probably all started because I had to make out checks to the IRS and the Utah State Tax Commission. In fact, parting with that cash was probably the worst thing that happened all day.

No comments: