Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Skiing was a glorious adventure

Monday I had the opportunity to go skiing at Brighton. I was excited because I'd been watching the weather forecast and it looked like I might get some fresh powder. None of the friends I had asked, including my brother Mike, could go, so I was going solo--not quite as fun, but still, I've gone skiing alone before and still had a great time, so I was rarin' to go.
I had gotten off to a late start because as I got five minutes away from home, I realized that I had left my ski ticket voucher at home and had to go back to retrieve it. Once home, my wife, Ann was having trouble with the sound on the computer, so I stayed for a little longer to make sure she got it back on, and then I left.
The lifts were already open when I got there and by the time I got dressed and ready to go, they'd been running for about half an hour. The snow was coming down fast and furious, and as I went up the Majestic lift, the snow was blowing right in my face. I always take an easy run or two to get myself warmed up before doing something more strenuous and this was no exception. By the time I did my second tour on that lift though, I wanted no more of it. It was running so slow and I could see the other nearby lift, called the Crest Express, running a lot faster. I took that lift the next time and when I got off on top, my glasses needed to be cleaned off. I'd been okay so far without goggles in my brief three year return to skiing, but with the snow coming down and the wind blowing so hard, I definitely saw the need for some good "over the glasses" goggles. Anyway, I stopped when I got off the lift to clean my glasses. I had brought a microfiber cloth with me and as I wiped them off, the left lens came out of the glasses. Great I thought, just what I needed to happen. However, I was able to pop it back in and I headed down.

You can see that left lens is a little foggy.
I pretty much stuck with that lift the rest of the day as the runs were long and fun and had a lot of variation. And there was an awesome 4-5 inches of  powder everywhere! I was impressed with Brighton's runs. I had not been there in thirty-plus years, the last time being when I went night skiing with Mike when he was fourteen. I liked it better than Solitude, where I have been doing most of my skiing, because I've been able to ski cheaper at Solitude. The particular time when I went to purchase my ticket from liftopia, Brighton just happened to have the cheapest ticket for this particular day. One advantage Solitude has over Brighton, other than price is a lot more restrooms scattered around the slopes.
I wanted to get ten runs in before I stopped for lunch, and though it was still snowing, it slowed down a little as I headed to lunch. By the time I got done with lunch though, it was snowing harder than it had all day and I was pumped to get back up there.
The sun poked out from time to time

Down in the parking lot, it wasn't snowing as hard as up on top.
I managed seven more fantastic runs after lunch and by then my legs were getting really tired. I stopped after seventeen. When I got home and went to clean off my glasses, the lens fell out again and I couldn't get it back in--I ended up digging through my bedroom dresser to find my spare glasses, and then later, when I had to go to Walmart for some things, I stopped by their optical department and they put the lens back in for me. I consider myself lucky that I was able to get that lens to stay in for as long as I did. I had my old pair of glasses in the 4Runner, but ended up not having to go back and get them.
I think that was my last time skiing for the year. I had planned on taking my granddaughter for a lesson in March, but with as little snow as we have, and for some other reasons, I think I'm going to have to take both my oldest granddaughters next year together. That might be better anyway. They have great deals on lessons in January.
Further down the canyon, there just isn't much snow at all. Looks like May up there.
I had a glorious adventure on the slopes. Now it's time to start planning some hikes. I can't wait.

No comments: