Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Love means saying you're sorry

I think I know what the most ridiculous quote about love is. It came from that film in 1970, Love Story. I don't remember much about the film, but the quote will stay with me forever:

Love is never having to say you're sorry.

Isn't that crazy? If you love someone, you will say you're sorry. It's kind of the exact opposite of the quote. Not that one should go around saying they're sorry all the time, but when it's warranted--and in any good relationship, it often is, you should say it.

Personally, the more I talk, the more I put my foot in my mouth. I have found that once you let those words fly, you cannot get them back. I guess that's why I'm generally known as a quiet man--I don't want to say the wrong thing, so I often keep quiet. But not often enough. I still manage to hurt those I love with my words. And for that, if I've hurt any of you, I apologize. I am hoping though that my loved ones love me enough to know that sometimes I say things out of hurt or anger that I should have just not said out loud. Sometimes I say things out loud though, to let my loved ones know I was hurt or frustrated. That's not always the right thing for us to do. Often it's better to just relax, chill, and think of all the good things and good times we've gone through with our loved one.

And the reason why is because sometimes we never get that chance to make amends.

So, contrary to the "wisdom" of Love Story, I will just say "I'm sorry" right now for my words I let fly from time to time. I will still make mistakes as friends do, but I think I will just treasure up the memories I have with all my loved ones, and look forward to the wonderful times yet to come.

Have a fabulous Valentine's Day!

No comments: