Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Christmas You Get You Deserve?

In the famous song I Believed in Father Christmas, originally recorded by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, the closing line in the lyrics is, "Hallelujah noel, be it Heaven or Hell, the Christmas you get, you deserve." The sentiment is well-thought out, and applicable in most situations. The contention of the author who penned those lyrics seems to be that our attitude controls what our perception of Christmas will be like. Ninety-nine percent of the time, that is true. But some times, events happen that are out of our control--bad things. For example two people I know--one because she was my neighbor and is still my Facebook friend, and the other because we share an internet forum together and who is also my Facebook friend--both lost loved ones just days before Christmas. The first woman's husband unexpectedly died. He was a young man leaving his wife and two children behind. The second woman had carried her baby to near full-term, feeling its movements up until the last, only to have the baby die in the womb just a few days before the due date. Here is a link to that story: Some losses are unsurvivable. In both cases, tragedy struck in the merry time of the celebration of our Savior's birth.

Now, I don't know how they are coping. I don't believe either one of them, though, deserve to have hell for Christmas. They are people who have just experienced great loss. My heart and prayers go out to them as I call on the Lord to bless and help them through all that has happened in their lives.

That being said, most of us do get the Christmas we have earned. I hope yours was filled with happiness, as mine was, knowing that the Lord is there for me in my times of need. I celebrate not the innocent child, born in a manger, but the risen Lord who knows my frailties, faults, and feelings. Who comforts me and lifts me. Who took all the sins of the world, including mine, upon him in the greatest act ever performed--the Atonement. I love Him. Though  I don't always show it through my actions, I love Him. I hope he will forgive me for my sins and help me to be a better person.

No comments: