Sunday, April 15, 2018

Ringo Starr's Photograph

Ringo Starr is commonly thought of as the least talented Beatle, the dumbest Beatle, or the goofiest Beatle. Frankly though, my thoughts on Ringo is that he ended up being the most contented Beatle. In my mind, that makes him the smartest. Much of his music is very playful and often humorous, from "The No No Song" to "Octopus's Garden". But he could also write a good sad song. The song "Photograph" (which he co-wrote with George Harrison, who also got out of the way of the often feuding Lennon and McCartney) captures the heart of someone pining for a lost love, someone who only has a "photograph" to remind himself of the love that once was. When you think about the words, it's heartrending: I want you here to have and hold, as the years go by, and we grow old and gray...I thought I'd make it, the day you went away, but I can't make it 'til you come home again to stay. Keep staring at the photo you have as you listen to this song. Unless you want to read the lyrics. But look at the photo anyway--and I'm not talking about the pics in the video, unless of course, one of them your lost love. Photograph--it's an oldie, but a goodie.

No comments: