Saturday, May 28, 2016

Identity theft is a pain in the behind

Sometime in 2014 or early 2015, someone opened our mailbox and took some mail. A few months later, we began getting notifications from our health insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield) of how much they paid on certain bills--always in my wife's name. Unfortunately, the bills they were paying were for someone who was masquerading as my wife, up in the Seattle area. My wife Ann hasn't ever set foot in Washington State.
As we continued to get more insurance statements we reported them to the fraud people at BCBS. One time, the employee of BCBS told us that the woman who was using Ann's name was checked into a hospital at that very moment and they could catch her red-handed.
Sadly, that must not have happened because we got a statement of the hospital stay, amounting to over $51,000. I called the fraud line immediately, but had to leave a message. The next day we received statements for ambulance service, and a couple of checks amounting to over $1600 in the mail to pay for those services. Okay, we're not stupid enough to cash those checks, and we're not going to do anything with them until I talk to the guy from the fraud department who returned my call when we were gone, and by the time I could call him back, they were likely long gone for Memorial Day weekend.
All I need is to start receiving actual bills from these hospitals, ambulance companies, doctors, etc. I don't understand why, with the number of times we've reported this woman, that they haven't caught her. How is it that you can use someone else's name for a hospital stay, then we call the fraud line right in the middle of that stay, and they still can't catch this woman?
If they don't solve this soon, I may need to call Vito to take care of it.

No comments: