Thursday, January 21, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens...great movie, great reason for going

Ann and I went and saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens finally yesterday. I kind of wanted to wait until the crowds died down (there were only maybe three others in the theater) to see it, and I had this vacation coming up in January, so that was the plan, and we carried it out. Somehow we managed not to hear any spoilers and so it was great. I'm thinking if we would've gone to one of the modern theaters with the vibrating seats and the 3-D experience, we might have encountered more fellow movie watchers. Instead, we went to the cheap theater, paid $3 per ticket, and got to see a good movie. We may not have been amongst the first to see and discuss this movie with our friends and family, but that's okay. We also didn't have to wait in long lines for tickets, stay up until midnight, or any of those other things that rabid fans normally do.
Patience usually pays off.

I really liked the movie. In fact, I got a bit misty-eyed during parts of it. Mostly, the Han and Leia scenes. As I was sitting there beside Ann and thought back our first date which had been to The Empire Strikes Back way back in 1980, I realized that we had grown old together with these people on the screen. I am rather sentimental at times.

I will go and see the other films as they come out. This one  was a reunion of sorts. A reunion with old characters, and with those of us who would remain young at heart, though we've aged along with them. The next ones will be just part of the series. Good movies, likely. Causing the same reaction in me? Not so much, I'm sure.

No comments: