Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Another great quote

Here's another great quote, this one, by Muhammad Ali:


"Don't count the days. Make the days count."

 

I love a good quote. I love this one because it refers to living in the present and enjoying your days as they come instead of waiting for some day in the future when things will improve. I'm reminded of several years ago when I had in my mind plans for spending a lot of time with my dad when my kids were grown and I was an empty-nester. Sadly, before that point happened, Dad died. We just never know. Making the most of the lives God has given us helps us to have happy and productive lives. Don't short change the present because we have no way of knowing what the future will bring. 

The same holds true for troubles. Don't imagine unforeseen future predicaments. Matthew 6:34 says: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (New International Version)

Living in the present helps us preserve the great things and deal more effectively with the negative things. As Matthew says in chapter 6 verse 27: "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (NIV)

 

No comments: