Monday, January 05, 2009

What Will You Do in the New Year?

I'm thinking I might actually try and achieve something this year. Like last night I asked my friend Boyd, who is an artist, if he'd be willing to try and illustrate my cowboy Christmas poem "The Cowboy's Mile", and he said, "sure". I'm thinking it might do best if we put together the book, and then try and sell it. I'm not really much of a self-publishing fan, but I'm thinking in this case, it's a book that needs to be seen first, gather a following, and then it may just take off. At least that's what I'm hoping.
Another thing I want to do this year is work on becoming a better musician. To do that I have to be organized and that isn't my strong point. I am one of the five most disorganized people on the face of the earth. That may be an exaggeration, but it's not much of one. Anyway, I plan on playing my guitar and banjo daily, on a regular schedule in order to accomplish this goal. I've already printed out some free daily schedules. All I need to do is fill them in.
I will become a better writer this year. Whether or not I will actually sell something this year is questionable--back to those organizational skills----but I will write a lot, and I will improve. I will learn how to be a better newsletter editor. I'm the current editor for The Lariat, which is the newsletter for the League of Utah Writers, and I just completed my first one in November. It's a quarterly newsletter, so the next one is coming up soon.
I will do several hikes, mostly in Utah. I love hiking and seeing things, so I will also do some road trips, or maybe a flight or two, though flying isn't really my thing.
I think that's about enough for one year, though it won't be all. There are home projects and church assignments, family gatherings and all sorts of fun and exciting stuff awaiting me in 2009. I hope the same is in store for you.

No comments: