Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Writing, routines, and solving the problems of life

When I was younger, there were large chunks of time in which I was able (although not always willing) to write. My habits included a warming up time when I just messed around. I usually had to sit at the keyboard or typewriter for a good long time before I would be in the frame of mind to write.
But that worked then. I had those chunks of time. I had the ability to organize my thoughts prior to putting any words down. These days are different. It seems that just as I get ready to write, something comes up. Either I'm needed by my wife who as a disabled person is often bored and lonely, or I just have so much work around the house to keep up with that it seems that I can't sit down for any kind of stretch that will allow me to gather my thoughts in my customary way.
In short, I have become at best, a blurb writer. I found that out all too convincingly when I sat down the other day to write out an article on the cost of religious belief or no religious belief. Just when I had the flow going and had put out a few paragraphs, my mind clearly focused on the topic, I had to quit.
Subsequently, I've had a hard time finding the time to reread what I've written and to add to it.
I'm thinking I need to find a solution to this dilemma, because the personal issues that have caused it don't seem like they will be going away any time soon.
Either that, or I could just bag writing. At least, until I'm much older, retired, and trying to fill my time.
That's not me, however. I'm thinking one way to solve this is to print out what I've written and then read through it, making notes. That may be easier than trying to do the same on a screen. Then I can go back to the screen and do some judicious editing.
I don't have the time to "warm up" any longer, but I can probably find solutions, and if I don't, well, that just means I won't get any writing done, and I can live with that.

No comments: