Thursday, October 01, 2009

On the Eve of the Utah Elk Hunt



I remember several years ago when I went on my first elk hunt. I had been lucky enough to draw out for a cow tag. As the hunt progressed, I found myself in a clearing, watching and waiting for some elk to come through. It wasn't long before I heard the cracking of brush, and the sound of many large animals coming directly toward me through the trees. They broke into the clearing and I aimed my 30-30 at a nice, fat cow, then pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. It suddenly dawned on me that I had failed to jack a shell into the chamber. By the time I now did so, the elk heard me and took off at a run. I fired a shot at a running elk, but missed, and then they were gone, over the ridge.
I can look back and laugh at that now, but at the time I was kicking myself for missing a golden opportunity. I guess the moral of the story is, when opportunity knocks, we need to be ready.

No comments: