Wednesday, June 24, 2015

On being aware

On Monday, I was out delivering my mail and I saw a vehicle pulled over to the side of the road with its flashers on. It was very odd because it had only managed to get within about four feet of the curb, and there was someone inside. Also, it was in a neighborhood, not along some highway. I passed the vehicle and delivered to the next two houses, then decided to go back and check on the person in the van.
I looked inside and the guy in there did not look well. I tapped on the window. Groggily and staggeringly slow, he reached for the button to roll down the window. I asked him if he was okay--if he needed help. He was nearly incoherent in his response, but I made out that he'd been drinking the night before.
Here it was nearly ten o'clock, the temperatures already in the low eighties, and with his windows rolled up. If this man stayed here asleep during the heat of the day, he was going to die.
He looked like he was about to vomit on me, so I left him and drove up the street, did a few more deliveries, then stopped and made the phone call to the police. Either this guy was going to die, or he was going to try and drive, perhaps endangering others. I noticed a few minutes later that the police had arrived, and soon thereafter, paramedics and a fire truck.
It would have been nice for someone in that neighborhood to have been the ones to make the call, but I was probably the right person at the right time. I guess the moral of the story is to be aware of strange events in your communities and don't be afraid to report them. You may save someone's life. I don't know for sure if this man would have died, but it was the right thing to do--to report it.

No comments: